Head Teacher Message 12: Friday 26th June 2020
We are all looking forward to welcoming many of you back next week. All staff have been hard at work preparing the school for the children’s return. You will have seen the video of the classrooms and the teachers. Our Health and Safety officer has made a final visit and a short video showing the safety measures and signage around the school will be posted today. The Caerphilly Parks team have made two visits over the last few weeks to ensure our grass is in good shape, Landscapes for Learning have converted our wooden gazebo’s to create a large outdoor classroom and Mr Bailey has painted, ‘strimmed’, organised and generally made sure we have a lovely environment for the next few weeks.
I would like to emphasise the following:
• If your child is not well, or has any COVID-19 symptoms then you must not send them to school.
• If your child falls ill in school then a member of staff will take them to a quiet empty and will wait with then until you can collect him or her.
• ALL children need to bring a packed lunch, fruit snack in a container and a water bottle to school in a SMALL bag. They will be provided with a cereal bar by the LA. There will be no food cooked or prepared on site.
• Children do not need to bring anything else to school. Anything they need will be provided.
• We have staggered start and finish times to ensure we have a manageable number of people on site at any one time. Please be respectful of other’s personal space and make sure you are at least ‘one spot’ behind!
• One of the ‘pod’ team will meet the children on the ‘last spot’ before the reception door. They will then walk them to their classroom. Please be patient.
• Please apply sunscreen every morning before bringing your child to school and provide a sun hat.
• If you need to collect your child early for any reason, please contact the school office. We will bring your child out to you as, at this time, parents are not able to enter the school.
• As staff are back in school, please be patient when waiting for feedback on home learning activities.
• Phone calls home will continue for those children not returning for this three week block of sessions.
• If you have any problems or issues, please ring us to discuss. We will do everything we can to help and support.
• We will post lots of photographs on the FaceBook page so you can see what your children have been doing!
I am sure there will be something I have forgotten to mention! We will continue to communicate often and in as much detail as we have available!
I hope you have a lovely weekend,
Vicky JD x
Frequently Asked Questions
Will children be provided with their own sets of pens, pencils, rubbers etc?
Yes, all children will receive their own individual zipped wallet containing all the stationary that they require. Only they will use this each week they come into school.
Will hand washing be encouraged?
Yes all children will wash their hands upon entering school in the mornings. They will wash their hands prior to break, lunchtime and afternoon break. They will also wash their hands prior to re-entering the classroom from the playground. The children will also wash their hands after using the bathroom. They will be encouraged to wash their hands hourly. There is already sanitiser in school, at many stations. Please do not send individual bottles of sanitiser with your child.
Does my child need to wear uniform?
No. I ask that all children wear clean clothes for each session. All clothes must go straight in the wash upon return home.
How will the children be allowed to play in the playground during playtimes and lunchtimes?
The children will have staggered lunchtimes and break times and will use both the grassy areas and the playground. Any equipment that the children use will be thoroughly cleaned by the staff after use and before the next group of children use the equipment.
Will my child have to wear a mask?
Children will not be required to wear PPE e.g. facemasks. Public Health Wales does not advise facemasks are worn.
I would like to know what school is doing to protect children from the virus as much as possible?
Desks, chairs and work areas will be spaced 2 metres apart. There will be floor markings outside and inside. Children and staff will work in ‘pods’, as this allows more flexibility with social distancing within that ‘pod’.. Whilst we recognise that with such young children social distancing cannot be maintained at all times, it will be encouraged and reinforced both inside and outside
Should any child break the social distancing rules, would they be disciplined?
Absolutely not. No form or punishment will take place if children do not social distance. The children will be encouraged to do so and reminded, where necessary.
What would school do if someone within the school tested positive for COVID-19?
In line with the Welsh Government Guidelines, if there are multiple cases of COVID-19 in then experts from across the NHS and local government will work together to prevent ongoing transmission within school. This will involve identifying those exposed, any child or staff member who is at increased risk and provide tailored infection control advice. Advice based on the assessment of each individual situation will be provided to support the school in preventing further spread. The process will be handled sensitively and in confidence, school would not reveal anyone’s identity.
Click here for more information.